Sunshine Village will be implementing a policy of prohibiting employees and clients from smoking and/or vaping during work hours and programming hours and will be prohibiting all persons, including vendors, from smoking on any grounds operated by the organization (including inside personal or company owned vehicles.) This policy will become effective on January 1, 2022.
Smoke and Vape Free Workplace Policy
Sunshine Village is committed to providing a safe and healthy workplace and to promoting the health and well-being of its employees and clients. As such, the following policy has been adopted and applies to all employees and clients of Sunshine Village.
Effective January 1, 2022, It is the policy of Sunshine Village to prohibit smoking and vaping on all company premises and while on duty to provide a safe and healthy work environment for all employees. Smoking is defined as the “act of lighting, smoking or carrying a lighted or smoldering cigar, cigarette or pipe of any kind.” Vaping refers to the use of electronic nicotine delivery systems or electronic smoking devices such as e-cigarettes, e-pipes, e-hookahs and e-cigars.
This policy applies to:
- All areas of buildings occupied by company employees and clients.
- All company-sponsored offsite conferences and meetings.
- All vehicles owned or leased by the company.
- All company employees.
- All clients of Sunshine Village.
- All visitors (customers and vendors) to company premises.
- All contractors and consultants and/or their employees working on company premises.
- All temporary employees.
- All student interns.
Employees who violate this policy will be subject to disciplinary action up to and including immediate discharge.
A process is in place for resolving complaints about the smoke- and vape-free policy:
- Complaints about the application of this policy should be brought to the attention of the Human Resources Director for resolution.
- The complaint should be submitted in writing and should identify specific objections.
- Sunshine Village will investigate the complaint and resolve it in accordance with the policy.
No employee shall suffer any form of retaliation for raising a complaint or asking a question about this policy.
Statement of Understanding
I have read and fully understand the terms of this policy.
I understand that any violation of this policy will result in disciplinary action up to and including immediate discharge.
I understand that Sunshine Village reserves the right to make changes to this policy as needed.
For Health New England Members:
Free help to quit tobacco use through our tobacco cessation program
Massachusetts Tobacco Cessation and Prevention Program
American Lung Association
The American Cancer Society
Quitline at 800-227-2345
Holyoke Medical Center Free Quit Smoking Workshop
To learn more, contact Seneca Egan, RN, BS, BSN, Tobacco Cessation Specialist (413) 534-2789. Enter your info into the link below, someone will contact you.
Center For Disease Control